Wednesday 2 January 2008

November 2007: On Hillwalking (and Falling Over).

Mariella Greil (who had a Sunday with Me in August '06) invited me to do a guest Lecture for Chester University's Dance in Discourse Module. Since I am now surrounded by hills, I am learning to love my feet by walking short walks. In July of '07 I attended 'Unknown Terra-tories', run by Neil Callaghan and Simone Kenyon as part of ArtsAdmin's DIY4 series, artists running events for the benefit of other artists. A research into performance and landscape, 'Unknown Terra-tories' involved a 10-mile hike over Borrowdale in the Lake District.

Mariella and I walked up Kinder Scout in terrible weather. On the top there was very little visibility. Without exaggeration, we feared for our safety. I led us down from the Mountain.When we'd had a cup of tea and a sit down, we put together a lecture. Here are some of the extracts I wrote. Email me at simon_bowes@hotmail.co.uk and I'll send you a copy of the most recent version.

On Hillwalking (and falling over) (extracts):

6.
The weather is not mild and the temperature is not moderate.
You take my hand as we are pushed about by the wind.
The weather is not poor, or even bad.
It is shitty, shitty weather – crap weather – the worst weather
I have been in for
years.
Were it not for you I would be alone in this.
I know that the weather is happening to somebody else.

11.
Earlier –
We saw the jawbone and pelvis of a dead sheep.
Where are the other bones? (a mis-remembrance)
You photographed it. I don’t think you should photograph it.
I don’t tell you.
I wonder who will see the photograph and what they will think.
We saw an oblong box with a pipe of black, ridged plastic coming out of it,
cut into the hillside. There is a curved wire on the top of the box.
I put the fingers of my left hand round the wire and lift the lid.
I go ‘o’ and jump back, inside is a dead weasel, or a dead stoat.
I drop the lid down and
I can’t look at the body of the animal.
I am fighting against the thought of the dead animals
for the rest of the day (a response to a hope for the future).

12.
Earlier –
We see a swathe of burnt ground,
black against dark reds,
oranges and greens.
I explain to you that
the foliage on the ground is called ‘heather’.
The line goes:
In spring, the heather says ‘wish’,
In summer, the heather says ‘swish’,
In autumn, the heather says ‘die,’
In wintertime she dies.
Domino Pop.
I am still here (Charles Bukowski - Song for Sadists Without a Place to Sit Down)
I explain that in late summer they burn patches of the heather,
leaving large tracts of scorched ground. The ash on the
ground ensures renewed growth, keeps the land fertile.

28.
The edges do not blur.
We never become each other.
We do not flow.
But we flood.

29.
Simon Bowes, Mariella Greil...
and One Other Person
Wearing a yellow waterproof jacket
And shorts (if I remember)
Shorts!
Man
of 55, 60?
Carrying a stick
A mile and half from the end
Going the opposite direction.
“Is it windy up top”
“Unbelievable”
He does not stop long
And I do not think to ask
His Name.





top-to-bottom: Mariella video-ing a sign (for Snake Pass, Just after Twenty Trees),
Shooting Cabin (the white splotch In The Distance)
Burnt Heather (photo glitched on import)
Crossing the Stream, Kinder Scout.

Notes: Photo & Video documentation sparse due to poor conditions. Mariella's "to follow".

On Hillwalking (and falling over) was, partly, a response to Neil and Simon's weekend.Information about Neil Callaghan, Simone Kenyon and Tamara Ashley's work (which involves a lot of walking) can be found here: propeller, The Legs That Make Us and here: Thinking on Your Feet

No comments: