Wednesday 7 May 2008

Chester to Freiburg:

A day late in posting: Tuesday 6th: Got up about 05.00, having watched the whole third episode of 'Peep Show' on google-vid, two hours patchy sleep, so a kind of dullache in the head all day. Started the day off by coughing up something disgusting - think I'm getting a bad throat. Set off for 6.30, in Crewe for 6.55, 7.10 Birmingham 8.10, Stansted for 11.50. The plane ride (my first in ten years! Ten years!) was a bit rough going up and a bit rough going down. It sort of simulated the feelings of a classic bout of frights, but, paradoxically, this kept me quite balanced. Bought myself Nick Hornby's 'High Fidelity' in paperback yesterday (WHSmth in Picadilly is a bit empty), so spent the flight mostly hiding in that, wondering if I could hear properly or not.
Mariella keeps taking pictures of me on trains, so might post the best of them up here. It just occurred to me that we have a lot of work to do, two days now before we do our walk / workshop. And I am acquiring a cold, so my English will be that much more impenetrable to our Audience.
15.27 (DeutchTime): Arrived in Freidrichshafen Airport 15.50 (approximately). The first things I notice - a clearer sky, better air.Got the train to Basle (2hrs approx), where we ate a nice, small, expensive meal (about £20 for two starters! - Switzerland is not part of the European Union, hence their terrific prices!). We got into Freiburg about 10.00 and waited for Tommy outside a bar, balmy evening, couple of nice lagers, then back to Tommy's. 00.30-01.00: Watched Episode 1, Series 4 of Peep Show, slept fitfully.

x X x

No comments: